Re: GNU-Pth and GLIB

Wolfgang Sourdeau <wolfgang iNsu com> writes:

> > Jonas Bulow <jonas bulow servicefactory se> writes:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Would it be of interest to have native GNU-Pth as a thread
> > > implementation besides POSIX and Solaris?
> > >
> > > Has anyone done any work on this?
> >
> > A patch would probably be accepted - though I think GNU-Pth is
> > basically uninteresting. User space threads are just not ever going to
> > be as good as native threads, and basically all interesting platforms
> > now have native threads.
>
> If I recall, linuxthreads aren't kernel threads either. It's is based
> on clone()'ing and stuff like that. Not a thread expert though.

While the Linux kernel has traditionally not had a distinction
between the idea of a thread and processes sharing resources,
LinuxThreads are definitely kernel threads:

 Kernel threads - scheduling between threads is done by the kernel
 user space threads - scheduling between threads is done by a library