Re: New keybindings draft

On 2 Apr 2001, Sven Neumann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Chema Celorio <chema ximian com> writes:
>
> > I think this is a very non-user friendly feature of gtk
> > and should be turned off for non techie users.
>
> > This can be a big problem for a newbie since he has no clue
> > what is going on. Personally i don't believe people shuold be
> > able to set accelerators for their application, things work
> > much better if there is one place where we define this.
>
> I disagree. For The GIMP with hundreds of filters this feature
> is a must-have. What I'd like to see is a way to hook into the
> process of reassigning a shortcut so the application can tell
> the user that it she is about to assign a shortcut that is
> already in use. The user could then decide if she wants to continue
> or cancel that operation. Eventually this feedback dialog should
> be in GTK+ itself.

i also disagree, strongly even. while i'm with havoc on having
an rc-file property to be able to turn this off, the default
should definitely be on, so as offer users opt-out, not opt-in
behaviour.
as for hooking into reassignments, there are two problems i see
with this:
1) you can hardly popup a dialog while a menu is popped up (keyboard
   and mouse are grabbed)
2) you would have to connect to every menu in the app to catch
   all reassignments.

i'm pondering about a singleton in 2.2 to maintain accelerator
bindings and serialization of them, that would get rid of (2),
however i don't see an easy way to solve (1).

> Salut, Sven

---
ciaoTJ