Re: Portability and distribution with Gtk+ 1.3

Dan Winship <danw ximian com> writes:
> > export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$prefix/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>
> A nice fix for this would be to make pkg_config output -R flags along
> with the -L flags on operating systems where you're going to want that.
> ("-R" isn't generically correct, but you can apply cleverness to the
> output of "libtool --config")

This has been discussed in the past, apparently it's fairly
complicated to get exactly right (I have some old mail about it I
could dig up...)

Anyway, in principle yes it'd be a nice feature. Again I don't have a
Solaris box and I don't feel like I'd be able to code this properly
with no ability to test it or read Solaris docs.

Also this points out that people really should avoid:

 GLIB_LIBS=`pkg-config --libs glib`
 GTK_LIBS=`pkg-config --libs gtk+`

instead you want them all at once:

 ALL_LIBS=`pkg-config --libs glib gtk+`

Then pkg-config can apply intelligence (already it will put things in
the right order and strip duplicates, and in the future we may want
intelligence such as -R etc., but pkg-config needs to be able to see
everything globally).

pkg-config could also conceivably include some intelligence about
static linking, e.g. if you want to statically link some modules but
not others, it could insert the proper flags in the right order, etc.

Patches needed. ;-)

Havoc