Re: gtkwindow changes

Tim Janik <timj gtk org> writes:
> ;) that's not the all-and-end of it, there're enough examples out there
> that do:
>
> model_set_foo (model, 10);
> view_set_foo (view, 10); /* we know that most times we _get_ 10 from the model,
>                           * and as model responses can take some time, updating
>                           * here right away can greatly increase responsiveness
>                           */
> foo_changed_callback (new_foo)
> {
>   if (view->foo != new_foo)
>     view_set_foo (view, new_foo);
> }
>
> why do you think there's code out there for various time consuming
> tasks that implements precalculations and discarding mechanisms
> for worst-case scenarios?

Bad, bad, bad hack.

If your model is responding slowly, then this is awful, since there's
user-visible flicker or jumping around or whatever in the view.
There's no benefit to updating early to some guess vs. just keeping
whatever your current value is until you know the real value.

Plus if your model is too slow to be useable, you need to fix it, not
add bad hacks that try to make it 1% better.

If your model isn't responding too slowly, then there's no point in
doing this stuff. For toplevel windows, the model definitely isn't
responding too slowly; window resizing works just fine.

Metacity will deny or modify configure requests pretty frequently;
it's a perfectly legitimate thing to do. I'm sure other WM's also do
so.

Anyhow, so let's get rid of RESIZE_IMMEDIATE for toplevels, unless
someone has a reason to use it other than to demonstrate it doesn't
work. ;-)

Havoc