Re: Filesel dnd patch

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Darin Adler wrote:

> On Tuesday, August 28, 2001, at 03:46  PM, Owen Taylor wrote:
>
> > Actually, for the file selector, I think you might just want to
> > accept paths even if they have the wrong hostname; in some sense
> > the user is dropping the path not the file that the path points.
>
> So you're saying if I drop the icon of a file on another machine (is that
> how these file URIs with different host names will actually arise in
> practice?), that it's OK if the file selector opens a different file that
> happens to be at the same path on my machine?
>
> Since I have no idea when this can actually happen, I have to limit myself
> to asking questions. I don't really have an opinion, because I can't
> imagine when you'd be able to perform a drag of a file URI for a file on
> another computer.

Most common case I can think of is having a shared NFS/AFS/CODA/SMB
directory common to a number of machines.  In that case, it would make
sense to ignore the hostname portion.  Not allowing the drops in these
cases would be annoying.  It would be very difficult to check for these
cases though.

James.