Re: GTK+ - text all mixed up in display...

Darren Kenny <Darren Kenny ireland sun com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use the CVS version of GTK+ 1.3.2 and have built it successfully
> but when I run even the gtk-demo program I see all the text as being jumbled
> up, eg: 'Name' might appear as 'mNea'. Has anyone else seen this?

OK, looking at the screenshot you sent Jonathan (it's sort of cool/amusing - maybe
you should send it to the list ;-), I think the problem is that FriBidi is
assigning essentially random bidirectional levels to the text, which then
causes the bidirectional-reordering code to go to work.

As for why this is happening on your system, I don't know -- it might have
something to do with endianess, but I think other people have gotten GTK+-1.3.2
to work on Solaris.

Anyways, the code to debug is

 pango/pango/fribidi.c/pango_log2vis_get_embedding_levels()

It's sort of complex code, but the result should just be one directional
segment at level zero, so seeing where that goes wrong may not be hard.