gdk-pixbuf compilation problems in cvs

In my never ending compilation problem I have now reached gdk-pixbuf
in cvs that though it compiles, doesn't manage to use any of its
modules. This may be seen e.g. by running make-inline-pixbuf which
outputs the error:

   Image type 'png' is not supported

on all formats.

I probed what happened and it appears that the defines
INCLUDE_ needed in gdk-pixbuf-io.c are not defined anywhere, and
thus no loaders are supported.

I tried to manually define these defines, but then the compilation
fails on loader problems:

.libs/libgdk_pixbuf-1.3.so: undefined reference to `gdk_pixbuf__png_fill_vtable'
.libs/libgdk_pixbuf-1.3.so: undefined reference to `gdk_pixbuf__pnm_fill_vtable'

I actually managed to compile gtk+ a couple of weeks ago, but then
the widgets come out as blank x windows. No contents, only background
color.

FWIIW my system is RedHat 7.0 with gcc 2.96.

Sigh...
Dov