Re: gdk-pixbuf compilation problems in cvs

dov imagic weizmann ac il writes:
> In my never ending compilation problem I have now reached gdk-pixbuf
> in cvs that though it compiles, doesn't manage to use any of its
> modules. This may be seen e.g. by running make-inline-pixbuf which
> outputs the error:
>
>    Image type 'png' is not supported
>
> on all formats.

Someone else debugged this the other day, apparently if GLib is built
without a working GModule implementation then GTK doesn't handle it
properly. That definitely should not happen with Red Hat (or any
Linux), so perhaps the problem is broken checks for gmodule in
glib. Though I don't remember recent changes to those checks, maybe
someone changed them.

> I probed what happened and it appears that the defines
> INCLUDE_ needed in gdk-pixbuf-io.c are not defined anywhere, and
> thus no loaders are supported.
>
> I tried to manually define these defines, but then the compilation
> fails on loader problems:
>
> .libs/libgdk_pixbuf-1.3.so: undefined reference to `gdk_pixbuf__png_fill_vtable'
> .libs/libgdk_pixbuf-1.3.so: undefined reference to `gdk_pixbuf__pnm_fill_vtable'

Defining the INCLUDE manually isn't enough, you also have to flip the
AM_CONDITIONAL for BUILD_DYNAMIC_MODULES which results in linking the
modules statically.

> I actually managed to compile gtk+ a couple of weeks ago, but then
> the widgets come out as blank x windows. No contents, only background
> color.

No clue on that, haven't heard it before.

Havoc