Re: couple dialog tweaks

Joe Shaw <joe ximian com> writes:

> >  - GtkDialog has always had a separator, so removing it is perhaps a
> >    backward compat issue
>
> In terms of code or appearance? A quick look at gtkdialog.h shows that the
> seperator is supposed to be a private member, so any code outside of gtk
> that accesses it is broken. If you mean appearance, then I guess my only
> argument against that is that it looks better if it isn't there anyway :/
>
> >  - if the separator isn't there by default, I don't think most people
> >    will add it. So really not adding it means that it won't be there.
>
> Right. That seems as equally a justification to remove it as it is to keep
> it.

It's certainly agreed that this decision should not be up to the whim
of the app programmer.

The reason why the function was added was that we tend to think:

 - GtkDialogs containing notebooks shouldn't have separators

 - GtkDialogs not containing notebooks should have separators

And there is no way (barring confusing magic) that we're going to be
able to do that automatically, so there needs to be an API call to
tell GTK+ which one is the case here.