Re: Review of accelerator changes

On 17 Nov 2001, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> writes:
> > Should we kick the question of what the default should be to the
> > useability project? since I don't think we'll really get anywhere
> > with the:
> >
> >  "It's confusing for users"
> >
> > vs.
> >
> >  "It's a cool feature that everybody who has been using GTK+ since
> >   before 1.0 wants"
> >
> > argument. Just much not data there.
>
> I can remember at least a few mails to user lists where users thought
> this was a bug, and at least a few mails to developer lists where
> developers wanted to turn it off due to user complaints/confusion. So
> there is at least some data. Whether it's conclusive is another
> issue. ;-)

yeah, and how many emails were there from users who said "hey, accel
changes work for me, count this against bug reports from users who
don't want them"? right, *0*. and why?
because no one wants them? no, wrong answer. because people don't
write such emails? yeah, probably.
so long as you see "at least a few mails", i'm fine. if those emails
start to dominate gtk list traffic, then we should consider disabling them.

> Havoc

---
ciaoTJ