Re: PangoXft and PangoFT2 patch from hell

On Sun, 18 Nov 2001, Hans Breuer wrote:

> >On systems using Linux, MiniXft is clearly the right way to go.
> >On Win32 systems, we might want to eventually investigate some
> >sort of mechanism where the FT2 library could share the same
> >font lookup system as the Win32 backend. That's too ambitious
> >for now.
> >
> What do you suggest 'for now'. I guess porting mini-xft is at least
> some hours of work. A _really_ short look at the code gave me the
> impression, that it is tightly bound to the *ix way of doing things.
>
> If there is a vision for doing it right the first time for win32
> I would like to here about it.

One possible way to do this better would be to use GetFontData() to
implement a FT_Stream so that Freetype can read win32 system fonts. In
that way we piggyback on the win32 configuration/naming, just as we
piggybacked on the Xft one for X.

I might look into this. I think it makes some sort of sense.

/ Alex