Re: GNOME CVS: gtk+ tml

On Mon, 2001-10-29 at 17:38, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
> jacob berkman writes:
>  > this (or a related) commit broke the build:
>  >
>  > automake: gdk/Makefile.am: warning: automake does not support
>  > libgdk_win32_1_3_la_LDFLAGS being defined conditionally
>  > make[1]: *** [distdir] Error 1
>
> Does this necessarily mean that something is broken?
>
> Yes, these warnings (errors?) are irritating, you have to run "make
> Makefile" twice after editing Makefile.am, for instance.

this seems broken to me.  there this note in gdk/Makefile.am:

>  > i've committed the following patch which i think works (it at least
>  > builds on unix), please fix it if it's broken on win32.
>
> Your patch should work, but is not "right" in the general case. What
> if there were several conditionally built .la files in a Makefile.am,
> and they needed different conditional LDFLAGS? One cannot then use a
> single LDFLAGS for those.

# libtool stuff: set version and export symbols for resolving
# since automake doesn't support conditionalized libsomething_la_LDFLAGS
# we use the general approach here
LDFLAGS = @STRIP_BEGIN@

so you can conditionally set the variables in LDFLAGS there to work how
you want.

sigh.

jacob
--
"Beat mixing is 10000 times more fun than even video games."
	-- bt