Re: selected item in TreeView

on 9/10/01 8:50 AM, Tim Janik at timj gtk org wrote:

> something else needs to be done here, e.g. using a lighter blue
> or somesuch.

[Apologies for turning this into other-ui-list.]

Just for reference, in Apple's Aqua user interface a lighter color, called
the secondary highlight color, is used for selections in both inactive text
fields and inactive scrolling lists (where inactive is the equivalent for
what we call insensitive, but is also used for all widgets in any
non-frontmost window because in Aqua clicks will just bring the window
forward).

Focus is indicated by a separate interface element called a focus ring (a
2-pixel outline rectangle around the focused item).

In unfocused scrolling lists, the selection still uses the primary highlight
color. There is no visible selection in an unfocused text field in an active
window. A focused text field in an inactive window uses the secondary
highlight color and no focus ring, so even though it's not really focused,
it still indicates its "latent" focus.

Ideally, in some future version of GTK we'd have enough flexibility in the
theme system to be able to emulate this behavior for a user that configured
GTK, a GTK theme, and a window manager to emulate Aqua.

    -- Darin