Re: GTK_RC_FILES

Bill Haneman <bill haneman sun com> writes:

> Owen wrote:
>
> > Discovered a problem with the GTK_RC_FILES environment variable.
> >
> > This same variable was used in GTK+-1.2, and KDE (at my recommendation)
> > to customize the GTK+ look inside KDE sets it to somethign like:
> >
> >  /etc/gtk/gtkrc:/home/otaylor/.gtkrc:/home/otaylor/.gtkrc-2.0
> >
> > But ~/.gtkrc typically contains things like references to GTK+-1.2
> > themes.
> >
> > So, unless anybody has a better idea, I'm going to make GTK+-2.0
> > read GTK2_RC_FILES instead.
>
> Hi:
>
> I know Sun ARC-type folks frown on versioning in filenames and
> in environment names.  Why can't we add a versioning property to
> the RC file instead, which would work OK for GTK+-2.X (since it
> could ignore unversioned RC files versioned < 2.0 or unversioned) and
> allow
> us some flexibility going forward... ?

Tim and I discussed adding

if version >= 2.0

endif

type stuff to .gtkrc at some point in the 2.x series. Which would
solve the problem for GTK+-3.0. But the only way that any RC file
parsing change would help the situation here would be to do something
like ignore RC files that don't have

 rc_version 2.0

Which is clearly not an option at this point; I'm not going to break
things for everybody who has a ~/.gtkrc-2.0 or has written a GTK+-2.0
theme.