Re: glib -- For portability.

"Yonas Jongkind" <yonasj goodue com> writes:

> I am working on the goodUE project ( http://www.goodUE.com/) and we are
> considering using glib for portability reasons. Also we like the event loop
> system of programming.
>
> I was wondering how much work needs to be done on the WIN32 side? Do threads
> and sockets work under both WIN32 and UNIX?

I'll let Tor respond to this.

> Would it be okay if we added some extra socket functions such as g_listen,
> g_bind, and g_connect?

It's certainly OK to do so in your own copy of GLib. In the
main/official copy, they would be considered for the 2.2 release
rather than the 2.0 release, we are currently in an API freeze leading
up to 2.0.

If you develop patches for this they should be filed on
http://bugzilla.gnome.org for consideration.

> Or would we be better building our own system as we go along?

I'd say there's no point starting from scratch, since you can always
modify GLib to meet your needs. Open source is handy that way.
The only question is whether you want to use GLib in unmodified form
or maintain custom patches to it.

Havoc