why are there two versions of gdk-pixbuf?

one it's included in gtk+, other is standalone.
Looked on the API documentation a little, I saw only minor differences
(e.g. gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file has another param now)
Seems that Federico works on gdk-pixbuf and other people on
gtk+/gdk-pixbuf.

I've found only a mention about this, almost 2 years ago.
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2000-April/msg00165.html

Why is gdk-pixbuf still maintained when it's included in gtk ?
Will it be dropped when gtk2 will be released?
(I tried compiling gnome-core 2, but it requires gdk-pixbuf-2.0, it
wasn't happy with the one in gtk2)

When will the bugfixes from standalone version will be merged in the
version included in gtk?

Lots of questions, answers appreciated!

Thanks,
Marius
--
You don't have to go to jail for helping your neighbour
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/