Re: XSetting for font

Erwann Chenede <Erwann Chenede Sun COM> writes:

> [...]
> >For 2.2 (multihead) we'll have to do something different - I think the
> >correct approach though is to add a ::font_desc GObject property,
> >and then set a default style->font_desc in a constructor() method
> >if it hasn't already been set. (A bug about this would be useful
> >as well.)
>
> Shouldn't the default font settings be propagated to all the screens
> by default ?
>
> Or are you proposing a more granular approach allowing to set the
> default font on a per screen basis, if so the control center would have to
> modified to reflex this in the future. (I personally think this should be a
> display wide setting as oppose to a screen wide setting for desktop
> consistency purpose)

Whether the setting is display-wide or screen-wide is a policy setting
for the tool that sets it up.

But the way that XSETTINGS works, is that settings are screen wide
to allow for different settings on different screens. (You could imagine
different screens with significantly different DPI, for instance.)

> Either way, if this patch is integrated I can implement the proposed
> solution next time I merge HEAD into the gtk-multihead branch (next monday).
> So is there a need of a bug to be logged ?

Well, a bug never hurts to track an issue, and make sure that it doesn't
get forgotten about... (but yes, once multihead-related issues are fixed
in the multihead branch, we don't need bugs about them.)