[no subject]

> If users come to expect right-click to pop up a contextual menu, it will
> be very confusing if it does something else in other contexts, such as
> scroll a document.

Note than button-3 already scrolls the document, even without this patch.
Gtk+-1.2 also scrolled the document on button-3 (but differently!). It
doesn't seem to have caused much grief. Also, the scrollbar is a
sufficiently common widget that users will get used to whatever it does.

> This is particularly bad because right-click by itself normally does
> nothing unless the user subsequently selects a menu item, so most users
> will not be very cautious about right-clicking.

I'd agree partly with that: since users are not cautious about
right-clicking, we shouldn't do anything 'destructive'. Scrolling one
line/page in the reverse direction isn't very destructive, however, and
it's obvious how to quickly recover.

On the other hand, scrolling to the end of the document loses your place
and is annoying. So, I think this patch is actually closer to what you
want than the current behaviour is, even if it's not exactly what you
want ;-)

I still think it's confusing that button-2 does scroll-to-here everywhere
except the arrows, where that behaviour is on button-3. However, the
exact button to use doesn't bother me that much.

To evaulate the usefulness of this behaviour it's interesting that:

a) The Windows users had to go and check what Windows did, so they
   obviously don't use it much.
b) The behaviour has changed in newer versions (apparently) and few people
   even noticed.

OTOH, RISC OS users (who've had this feature for over a decade) frequently
complain about its lack on other systems. Indeed, I gave a link to the
patch on one of the newsgroups and several people added comments to the
bug.

--
Thomas Leonard			http://rox.sourceforge.net
tal00r ecs soton ac uk		tal197 users sourceforge net