Re: GtkSheet

Hi,

Joel Becker <jlbec evilplan org> writes:

> 	Try to hand-copy a GTK installation for quick testing (say, on a
> machine where make is not and never will be installed).  Copy bits.
> Discover you've missed the pango modules.  Crap.  Find and copy those.
> Discover you've missed the input method modules.  Crap.  Find and copy
> those too.  Discover you've missed the pixbuf loaders.  Crap.  Ok, go
> get those as well.

hand-copying a GTK+ installation doesn't sound like a real-world
example to me. But I see your point. Dynamically loaded modules
solve some problems but introduce lots of others. Unless we decide
to add tons of unneeded widgets to GTK+, the only good reason not
to include all of them are applications targetted for embedded
devices. In such an environment you know very well which widgets
you need and since every byte of wasted memory costs you money
you will want to get rid of everything you don't need. With the
current design of GTK+ this essentially means a lot handwork.
GTK+ would position itself much better for the embedded market if
it would offer a functionality to easily finetune the build.
Hmm, I start to sound like one of the marketing guys ...

Salut, Sven