Re: [Mingw-users] glib and pkg-config build on win2k

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Tor Lillqvist wrote:

> Owen Taylor writes:
>  > Is the concern wanting to use the system glib to compile pkg-config
>  > on Windows?
>
> Yep.
>
>  > Maybe we need a --disable-pkg-config-checks configure option.
>
> Sounds like a good idea.
>
> Hmm, would it be feasible to then start requiring an installed GLib
> 2.x for pkg-config on Unix, too? (Most packages that provide .pc files
> are dependent on GLib 2.x anyway, aren't they?) If building everything
> from scratch when building GLib one would need to use

Strictly speaking, they need not be, and already aren't. I think the
latest libpng for example provides a .pc, and hopefully in the future a
lot more libraries will start to do so.

> --disable-pkg-config-checks, otherwise wouldn't things just work fine?
> pkg-config's distribution wouldn't then not need to include glib-1.2.8
> any longer. Not that the included glib-1.2.8 is any big issue on Unix.

At least IMHO it would be good to continue to be able to have a pkgconfig
that will run without glib 2.0 being present.

> --tml

	Sander

	There are voices in the street,
	And the sound of running feet,