Re: Image collections

Matthias said:

> Owen asked me to post some information regarding bug 65902 here, in
> the hope to get some feedback on the proposed API.
>

> That bug is concerned with image file formats which contain not just a
> single image, but a collection of related images. The most prominent
> example is the Windows .ICO format, which may be met on the web in the
> form of favicon files. Web browsers need to select an appropriately
> sized image from the favicon file.

I would think that this would also be a nice means of harmonizing the
handling of gtk+ stock icons with replacement/themed icon sets, since at
the moment the stock icons are compiled into a header file, and
replacements via RC-file theming must be provided as separate image
files.  IMHO neither of these cases is ideal, providing a common format
for multi-images, which could be used by gtk_icon_factory instances as
well, would seem more flexible and efficient.  It appears to me that at
present there are two icon sets in memory whenever the default set is
overridden, since we can't unload the hard-coded ones.

regards,

Bill