Re: Menu Bar Bevel

From: Havoc Pennington

Lots of themes do remove it, such as the one I seem to be using right
now. It's just a function of the theme.

Unfortunately, theming the bevel away is just a 'hack' and only solves the problem for myself, not for other people.

eg. If I'd add that inner bevel to a [insert any-]view (like shown in the screenshot) it would look nice on my system, but it would look make my app look ugly/amateurish on other systems where the user isn't using a theme with a non-beveled menu bar.

So I can choose:

1) Use no bevels in the [insert any-]views at all (looks way too flat and doesn't give a theme author the option to have a bevel or not for [insert any-]views, pcmiiw) 2) Tell the users to use a MyAppName-compatible theme (seems like crack to me) 3) Modify the style (of MyAppName) to remove the bevel and make the app look out of place on a Gnome Desktop (because other apps would have the bevel and MyAppName not)

None of these are an option for me.

A unified widget containing all menubars/toolbars is really necessary
to get all the bevel joins exactly right automatically, though.

Is there any ongoing work on such a widget?
If not, are there any plans for doing one? (I think I already know the answer for this one =)

Thanks,
Rich

ps. I tried sending some replies a few days ago but they didn't got delivered.
   Probably because I wasn't subscribed to this list, I guess..
   If that was the problem I'm sorry for the inconvenience.
(the subscription e-mail didn't got here either, that's why I sent those replies without being subscribed)