Re: Menu Bar Bevel

On Sat, 2003-04-05 at 05:36, r ve wrote:

> eg. If I'd add that inner bevel to a [insert any-]view (like shown in the
> screenshot) it would look nice on my system, but it would look make my app
> look ugly/amateurish on other systems where the user isn't using a theme
> with a non-beveled menu bar.

Well, I think it's the goal of themes to let the user decide how the
apps should look. Any application can look ugly when using an ugly theme
(knowing that what you might find ugly can be good for others - there is
no such common definition of what is ugly and what is not IMHO)

> 1) Use no bevels in the [insert any-]views at all (looks way too flat and
> doesn't give a theme author the option to have a bevel or not for [insert
> any-]views, pcmiiw)
> 2) Tell the users to use a MyAppName-compatible theme (seems like crack to
> me)
> 3) Modify the style (of MyAppName) to remove the bevel and make the app look
> out of place on a Gnome Desktop (because other apps would have the bevel and
> MyAppName not)
>
> None of these are an option for me.

Any of these options are against user's freedom to tweak his/her desktop
like (s)he wants...

Cheers,
--
Olivier Fourdan <fourdan xfce org>