Re: About dialog API

On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 18:39, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> about dialogs have tradionally been an area where application
> developers try create something that is unique and fun to look at. Do
> you really think that a toolkit should provide a standardized look and
> feel for it? I think not. Of course you can argue that noone is forced
> to use the API but I really think that GTK+ should focus on useful
> stuff and should leave things such as About dialogs to the application
> developers or to higher-level libraries. If the goal is to integrate
> libgnomeui into GTK+, we should consider to split GTK+ into a basic
> toolkit library and another one that provides composites widgets such
> as the one you propose here.

Nobody's keeping people from creating their own about dialog.
It would be a completely optional API.

But I don't consider an about dialog useless (*), and I don't
think most app developers want to have to recreate the wheel
here.

(*) Though a pet peeve of mine is Help menus where the single
    item in them is an About dialog. I went to the Help
    mean for *Help*. If there was no Help available then
    don't put a Help menu there!

    I'm not sure what relevance this has to making about
    dialogs easy to create.