Re: About dialog API

Hi,

Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> writes:

> Outside scope for GTK+ IMO would be stuff that isn't really
> related to widgets/GUI, and stuff that is only useful in a particular
> application domain (such as GtkGamma).

Of course I fully agree with you here.

> An About dialog though is something any application can use, and
> something other toolkits provide.

You have a point here, an about dialog is probably more important than
quite a few things that are in GTK+ already.

> I don't see the point of splitting the library for standard
> workstation installs, the only reason to do that I can see is
> embedded/palmtop, and there it seems like a custom build is the way to
> go.

Embedded systems are indeed what I have in mind here. Considered the
amount of widgets that will get added sooner or later, it would surely
make sense to think about a more modular interface (either at the
build level or at run-time) for GTK+. If we could make it easier to
customize the functionality included in a GTK+ build, GTK+ on embedded
systems could gain some momentum.

> No one has written the patch yet for "configure
> --disable-widgets=exclusions.txt"

Doing this with the current library setup it's a rather akward thing
that requires in-depth knowledge of GTK+ and would be unacceptable as
a patch because of the heavy use #ifdef.

Salut, Sven