Re: Scintilla GTK2 profiling results

Biswapesh Chattopadhyay:

> Sorry for the cross-post, but I though it might be helpful is the issues
> are discussed with feedback from both Neil as well as GTK2 developers.

   One issue that may be affecting speed is the unexpected synchronous
exposes (calls to gdk_window_process_updates in gtk/gtkrange.c) being
performed by the scrollbars that are child widgets of the Scintilla widget.
This may be leading to extra drawing and text measurements. If this is so,
it should be possible to eliminate it, possibly by putting the scrollbars
inside their own windows.

> Scintilla GTK2 version with Pango seems quite a bit slower than the
> plain GTK1 counterpart. So I did a quick profiling using KCachegrind to
> identify the bottlenecks. The test case was to fire SciTE with a C++
> source file as parameter and ensure that the file is fully loaded and
> displayed with styling. The application was then closed immediately.

    If you are just measuring the first page load then you may be seeing
some initialisation overhead. I normally measure the first 12 page downs of
a large file. If you have maximum layout caching turned on then you may be
seeing more text measurement than needed. For measurement, I'd turn layout
caching and caret blink off.

    Neil