Re: Scintilla GTK2 profiling results

On Wed, 2003-04-16 at 09:56, Neil Hodgson wrote:
> Biswapesh Chattopadhyay:
>
> > Sorry for the cross-post, but I though it might be helpful is the issues
> > are discussed with feedback from both Neil as well as GTK2 developers.
>
>    One issue that may be affecting speed is the unexpected synchronous
> exposes (calls to gdk_window_process_updates in gtk/gtkrange.c) being
> performed by the scrollbars that are child widgets of the Scintilla widget.
> This may be leading to extra drawing and text measurements. If this is so,
> it should be possible to eliminate it, possibly by putting the scrollbars
> inside their own windows.

Generally you want synchronous exposes of the target widget on
scrolling; it just looks better, and for another thing, if you don't
do your drawing, GTK+ may spend all the CPU time doing a beautifully
smooth animation of the scrollbar.

If Scintilla is redrawing the whole buffer on every scroll, that
certainly sounds like the first thing to address.