Re: About dialog api

On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 12:31:48PM +0100, iain wrote:
> Hmmm, I still don't like it. I think _show should at least return the
> widget so you can do what you want with it.

With the automated lifecycle management, you can't really do what you
want with it. e.g. if you moved it over to a different toplevel,
it would still vanish when you closed the first toplevel.

If you're going to do your own stuff with it, the gtk_about_new() is
just as convenient, anyhow.

> and I don't see how I can find gtk_about_show useful a useful function.

The issue here is just whether the convenience function about dialog
should be global or per-toplevel. I don't actually see the harm in
opening two about dialogs if you have two separate toplevels with an
About menu item, and having each about dialog transient for its
toplevel. What is the problem with that?

The reason this is better than a global is that you may want to have
multiple kinds of toplevel with different About entries in the same
app.

A simple solution to the whole controversy though: keep a global about
dialog if you pass in NULL for the toplevel to the convenience
function - useful anyhow since some apps such as applets may not have
toplevels.

Of course, passing in NULL would still be wrong if you *do* have a
toplevel, since transient for would not get set.

Havoc