Re: Making GtkMenuMerge nice to demo

Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> writes:

> * First off, the name. GtkMenuMerge handles both menus and toolbars.
> And the merging functionality, while critical to the way it is
> implemented and some of it's advanced functionality, is something
> that isn't going to make a lot of sense to someone encountering
> it for the first time.
>
> Some brainstorming about possible names that try to fix up
> one or both of the objections above:
>
>  GtkMenuManager
>  GtkUIManager
>  GtkMenuSet
>  GtkUISet
>
> MenuMananager is more idiomatic than UIMananger, but if we
> already have:
>
>   gtk_menu_merge_add_ui_from_string (merge, ui_info, -1, NULL);
>
> We've already made people learn what a "UI" is, so:
>
>   gtk_ui_manager_add_ui_from_string (merge, ui_info, -1, NULL);
>
> works reasonably well.

[ Jumping on a small issue here ]

I'm not a big fan of GtkUIManager.  The double capital is kinda icky,
and like GIOStream and GtkRBTree breaks the current GTK+ underscoring
convention.  As some alternatives (all of which admittedly have
problems), how about:

GtkActionSet
GtkApplicationManager
GtkInterfaceManager

Actually, the last one is probably highly confusing.  On the other hand,
I can see us having a GtkApplication in the future a la
GnomeApplication.  Having a GtkApplicationManager to go along with it
makes sense to me.

-Jonathan