Re: GtkTreeView column-chooser dialog

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 10:37:47PM -0500, Ettore Perazzoli wrote:
> Most apps where you have a fair amount of information that you might or
> might not want to see.  Besides the obvious example of the mail client,
> a music player or an addressbook application will want to have this
> feature.  Also Nautilus could allow reordering of the columns in the
> list view.

By "what apps would use this" I don't mean what apps would want column
reordering, I mean what apps would use this particular dialog as the
UI for it.

> No, normally you have either a "View -> Customize view..." menu, or even
> check menu items somewhere in the View menu or a submenu of it.

Right, but neither of those is necessarily this dialog. Customize
view... could typically have other stuff related to the app-specific
aspects of the view (I don't know), and the check items are an example
of something that isn't this dialog.

> Nah, way too clunky.  It might be accessible, but it's annoying and
> difficult to use.  Drag and drop is much more intuitive; it "just
> works".

I'm suggesting the menu in addition to DND so it's accessible.
i.e. menu instead of dialog, should have DND either way.  Not
intending to contrast menu with DND.

> Even if you make the UI dnd-based, nothing prevents you from providing a
> fully keyboard accessible way to do the same thing.  Eg. keyboard-based
> movement could be triggered by a keyboard combination, then you could
> pick a column and move it with the cursor keys.

It's easier to find standard Shift+F10 to open a context menu than to
learn a custom key shortcut for "begin move" perhaps. Unless we used
the same shortcut used elsewhere, e.g. whatever we have for initiating
move on an applet or paned or handlebox or something. I think applet
begin move is in the menu, paned is just "focus handle then space,"
not sure about handlebox.

Havoc