Re: GtkExpander/GtkDisclosure

 2) I recently implemented a GtkBin sub-class which displays an expander
arrow and label at the top of the widget and hides/shows the GtkBin
child depending on whether the widget is expanded or collapsed.

I personally think that this method is the better method of the two. It seems to fit better with the rest of GTK+. Nevertheless, couldn't you simplify your code quite a bit by just adding a GtkCheckButton that contains a GtkLabel and GtkArrow into your container as an internal child? Your widget will still be a subclass of GtkBin, but you won't have to duplicate existing functionality (which can always lead to inconsistencies). Also, I don't really see a reason why the widget can't be NO_WINDOW.

Just some thoughts...

--Ray Strode