Re: Thinking about GtkFileSystem

Michael Meeks wrote:

- Listing the roots of a multi-rooted filesystem.

	I'm slightly confused by the multi-rooted nature of all this, what
particular application is that for ?

You'd never be able to have the win32 port (which I think is the only port to a multirooted system right now) nicely interact with removable devices otherwise - well, no its worse, as the network mounts can essentialy arrive (be mapped) at any time aswell.

For remote network filesystems, incremental filling of directories is interesting. Hopefully we can simply use the change-notification mechanism to accomplish this. Considerations:

- It means that we can only do incremental filling for
  directories that are currently being monitored.

	What is the purpose of monitoring, and/or how will the user be shown
that loading is underway / completed  vs. eg. FAM monitoring changes ?
or am I confused ?

I think my question/worry would really be - what happens if you have an NFS mounted directory with several thousands of files, esp for people who still have only NFS2 (like lots of linux users). Or for that matter, a directory with several hundred mount points in it (not uncommon for automounted /home on sunrays and shell servers) and similar.

	HTH,

		Michael.