Re: Thinking about GtkFileSystem

On Fri, 2003-03-14 at 07:27, Sander Vesik wrote:

> I think my question/worry would really be - what happens if you have an NFS
> mounted directory with several thousands of files, esp for people who still
> have only NFS2 (like lots of linux users). Or for that matter, a directory
> with several hundred mount points in it (not uncommon for automounted /home
> on sunrays and shell servers) and similar

Well, that's the point of support for incremental notification,
though I'm hoping to avoid needing it for the basic Unix file
system model.

Note that a readdir() should be pretty acceptable
even on a huge directory ... it's getting details that will
be a problem. So, we don't need to make the files appear
incrementally, we just have to worry about blocking on
getting the information for every file immediately.

It's pretty hard to avoid special-casing something like /afs. The GTK+
file selector has special code to avoid stat'ing subdirections
of /afs and /net, and I think nautilus/gnome-vfs the same.