Re: Japanese kana input

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 12:28:58AM -0500, Terry 'Mongoose' Hendrix II wrote:
> Hey, I've looked around for a romanji -> kana input system for GNOME and
> haven't found what I wanted.
>
> I'm willing to write one, but I see there is a seemingly dead Japanese
> input module already out there.  Would I be interfering with someone's
> not public work?  I'd be glad to help with the kana support of such a
> module, but I can't help with kanji.

http://im-ja.sourceforge.net/ is the continuation of
http://bonobo.gnome.gr.jp/~nakai/immodule/ (which I belive is no longer
developed), the only modules I've seen.
There's a lot of good work in those, especially the former, which even
includes Owen Taylor's kanjipad to allow drawing kanji.  However, its
interface is different enough from kinput2 that it's a little
frustrating for me to use.

And kanji support comes automatically from using a backend like canna.
Trying to code something like that directly into an input module is
pretty much infeasable, because there is a lot of complicatedness behind
kana->kanji conversion.  :)

--
      Evan Martin
martine cs washington edu