Re: GtkTreeView discussion

Am Mon, 2003-03-17 um 22.39 schrieb Jonathan Blandford:

> No.  There's unfortunately no way right now for a cellrenderer to have a
> tooltip.
>
> I would like very much to add them to the TreeView.  I've seen two types
> of tooltips, that fulfill different use case.  The first is basically a
> continuation of a row that doesn't fit on the screen.  It only appears
> on cells that don't fully fit.  As a poor ascii example[1]:
>
> | Short Row                           |
> | This is a really long line in a row |
> | ...                                 |
>
> =>
>
> | Short Row         |____________________
> | This is a really l| ong line in a row ]
> | ...               |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> here, the continuation appears in a window after a timeout.

One and a half year ago i sent some patches to the list to enable
something like this. Later i realized that the approch was not the best,
caus i used something like an tooltip, an independent toplevel window.
With this you get some flashing if the user moves the mousepointer fast
into the popup, caus in this moment your main app loses the focus.

To do it the right way (tm) you have to integrate it directly into the
TreeViews Gdk::Window. But unfortunetely (i think so, it is some month
ago i've looked the last time to the TreeView code) every column has its
own Gdk::Window what makes it much more difficult. Please correct me if
i'm wrong.

Cheers
Det