Re: Thoughts on the ComboBox framework

On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 02:47:45PM +0100, Kristian Rietveld wrote:
> In my whole opinion this is the coolest combo (:. The basic purpose of this
> combo is picking an item from the list (hence the suffix "Picker", though
> maybe some people will like "Chooser" better). The combo uses a GtkListStore
> as data storage internally, the user is presented a set of generic API
> to add/remove items. As with the GtkTreeView you have to pack a bunch of
> cells and set the attributes to get items displayed.
>
> Perhaps the coolest feature is that the EggComboBoxPicker is able to
> switch between "Windows style" and "UNIX style" on the fly. This will be
> a style property. The programmer has nothing the do with it, both styles
> of course have the same API. A screenshot can be found at:
>
>   http://www.math.leidenuniv.nl/~kris/blaat/picker-combos-2.png

I thought GtkOptionMenu was for picking between multiple choices.
I know that in Windows, they use their "combo box" to provide a
"drop-down" list, but in that case it seems it'd make more sense for
GtkOptionMenu to have the switch.

Or am I missing something crucial?  I suppose the main difference is
that you get a TreeView in the dropdown?  (That is, of course, very
useful...)

--
      Evan Martin
martine cs washington edu