Re: GtkGrid design document

On Thu, 2004-04-15 at 14:15 +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-04-15 at 11:28 +0200, Lorenzo Gil Sanchez wrote:
> > GtkGrid and GtkTreeView have both a GtkTreeModel as its data model.
> >
> I would like to ask about the possibility of moving the model stuff to
> GLib. The reason for that is that some apps not using GTK do their own
> data model stuff (like libgda, for instance), and then when you want to
> use those models in a GTK app, you have to convert from the stock model
> to GTK's. That's the case for libgnomedb, which has to convert the
> libgda data models to GtkTreeModel's (fortunately, thanks to
> GtkTreeModel's architecture, without duplication of data).
>
> So, is it possible to do so? Or is the GtkTreeModel stuff too dependent
> on the tree view widget?
>
> cheers

I would also like to use a GtkTreeModel within a non-gui library
(libgircclient) to handle the IRC network list.

Note: it appears as though doing this will require changing how the DnD
code works. I believe a GtkTreeModelDnd wrapper object is one possible
answer to this, one who's API can be designed given the present
developer experience with DnD, possibly behaving somewhat like
GtkEntryCompletion (a configurable helper object which handles the
actual work of determining what can be dragged/dropped where).
Unfortunately I've got too many things I should already be working on to
do this.

--
Peace,

    Jim Cape
    http://ignore-your.tv

    "We still name our military helicopter gunships after
     victims of genocide. Nobody bats an eyelash about
     that: Blackhawk. Apache. And Comanche. If the
     Luftwaffe named its military helicopters Jew and
     Gypsy, I suppose people would notice."
       -- Noam Chomsky, "Propaganda and the Public Mind"