Re:Adding new image loader to gdk-pixbuf

 Steffen Gutmann twisted the bytes to say:

 Steffen> Hello,

 Steffen> I would like to add a new image loader to the gdk-pixbuf
 Steffen> library.  If I understood the documentation about the
 Steffen> gdk-pixbuf module interface right, the only way to do this
 Steffen> it to write a loadable module that contains code for
 Steffen> recognizing the image format and reading/writing/etc.  an
 Steffen> image file.  This module then has to be installed into a
 Steffen> certain directory (normally libdir/gtk-2.0/version/loaders)
 Steffen> and a module file has to be updated (normally
 Steffen> libdir/gtk-2.0/version/loaders).

 Steffen> Is this the only way of adding a new image format?

I believe so.

I recently started implemententation support for Canon RAW files. I
can now load the files, but my code needs improved error checking. I
can send you a diff of the changes, so you know exactly what files you
need to change (and what functions).

It was a pain to figure out which changes were necessary. There is no
documentation. I guess I could write :) It took me 2 days of trial and
error to get the skeleton of the code in place

 Steffen> Of course this solution is nice and code can be shared by other
 Steffen> applications.  Looking at examples in the gdk-pixbuf source I think I
 Steffen> can implement this for the image format I am thinking of.  The image
 Steffen> file format I want to support is IFF/ILMB, a format that was/is used on
 Steffen> Amiga OS, and is rarely if at all used on other plattforms (but there is
 Steffen> ilbmtoppm under Unix, so it is not completely unknown).

 Steffen> If there is an API where I can register a new image format to the
 Steffen> gdk-pixbuf library during runtime of my application then I would prefer
 Steffen> this way (for now until there is enough request to make the new image
 Steffen> loader public by including it in the gdk-pixbuf library).  But there
 Steffen> seems to be no such possibility, at least I haven't found anything in
 Steffen> the docs and the source of gdk-pixbuf doesn't seem to provide a function
 Steffen> either.

 Steffen> Any comments welcome,

   Steffen

 Steffen> gtk-devel-list mailing list
 Steffen> gtk-devel-list gnome org
 Steffen> http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gtk-devel-list

--
Daniel M. German                  "Programming is like sex
                                   --one mistake and you'll have