Re: Flowing columned container

On 29/04/2004 11:50 PM, Murray Cumming wrote:

I don't think that's the same thing. I think that's talking about
widgets whose width will increase when their height increases.

I'm talking about a container that might have widgets arranged like
this:

child1 child4 child7
child2 child5
child3 chidl6

but when the container is made less high, they will be arranged like
this:

child1 child3 child5 child7
child2 chidl4 child6

Also, the minimum height would therefore be constrainted by the total
child widget height and the number of columns in the container.
What you have described is height for width geometry. The widget gains width as it loses height. This sort of thing isn't really possible to do right with GTK's current geometry management, where you specify a required minimum height and width, then get allocated some space that is usually at least that large. To get your above example working, you'd need another pass to calculate the required width once the widget knows it's height.

About the only case where you can get height-for-width style geometry management working without any modifications to GTK's current geometry management is in a container widget that acts as a scrolled viewport. The geometry of the container widget can be handled quite easily, and the container can size the area inside the viewport however it wants.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/