Re: GTK+ is not Valgrind-friendly

Owen Taylor wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 20:41, Paul Pogonyshev wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I'm developing an application that uses GTK+ for GUI part.  I find Valgrind to
> > be very useful in detecting memory access errors and leaks.  However, GTK+
> > leaves lots of unfreed memory at process termination, which makes Valgrind
> > output for a GTK+ application way less usable and clean.  I have about 1 MB of
> > unfreed memory in about 140--150 loss records after a typical run of my program.
>
> A) Note that Valgrind also has *useful* leak detection output that does
>    conservative GC to find unreachable memory.

Well, I bet we all understand that this is not 100% efficient.  Yes, you can
look for only "definitely lost" but then again, there are a few "definitely
lost" things leaked from GTK+.

> But basically, I don't think a gtk_free_all_memory() is interesting;
> it's a lot of extra bookkeeping for no actual benefit to apps.

Well, it's your opinion that there's no actual benefit.  I and many others
(if only counting by number of duplicated bug entries) disagree.  In any case
I see that your position is final and discussing further is meaningless.

Paul