Getting correct size after placing widget in parent

Hi,

Is there any way to force gtk to recalculate the size of a widget straight after it has been placed in its parent. Presently, the only way I can see of doing it at the moment is to place the child widget in to its parents and iterate over gtk_main_iteration_do until there are no gtk_events pending, this is a very poor way of doing things, particularly if the parent widget is mapped at the time. If anyone knows of a better solution to this I would be extremely grateful....

Thanks for your time

Ian King