Re: File name encoding and GTK ABI compatibility on Win32

Owen Taylor wrote:
I can't think of specific examples in the past (though we've never
supported compile-on-newer, run-on-older), but there is certainly
another example for 2.6 ... g_return_if_fail_warning().

Things like the GDK_THREADS_ENTER change, would be an example.

I don't see constraining ourselves to support compile-on-newer
run-on-older. There's a lot of useful stuff that that prohibits.

How does it prohibit anything? All that needs to be done is making the new functionality opt-in. Windows has used this technique succesfully for years.

thanks -mike