signals versus vfuncs

forgive me i'm completely off my rocker here, but i seem to recall discussion on this list not too long ago to the effect that ... whereas in the past convention dictated that all overridable methods should have an associated signal, this is no longer the convention.

is this correct? if so, what's the rationale? i understand that overriding class closures and calling g_signal_chain_from_overridden is odd and clunky and all that, but having the marshalling metadata around for virtual methods is really important for language bindings!

--
"it's hard to be eventful when you have this much style."
   - me, rationalizing yet another night of sitting at home.