Re: Auto completion patch for search in GtkTreeView

On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 18:47 +0200, Jaap Haitsma wrote:
> Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:
> > On Sun, 2005-04-03 at 13:40 +0200, Jaap Haitsma wrote:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>The find as you type search functionality in the GtkTreeView which came
> >>in GTK 2.6 is really cool in my opinion, because it saves a lot of
> >>typing or scrolling.
> >>
> >>When I was editing nautilus with gedit I noticed I still had to type a
> >>lot because a lot of files have the following format nautilus-<some
> >>name>.[ch]
> >>
> >>I implemented a patch such that you need even less typing. If there are
> >>no other viable options for the characters you typed it will try to
> >>complete the text as far as possible. E.g. if you have a directory which
> >>contains a lot of files with start with nautilus- the search entry will
> >>complete automatically to nautilus- as soon as you type an n and if ther
> >>e are no other files which start with an n.
> >

> >   IMHO, it would be much more useful if typeahead search was always
> > based on substring match, like the way mozilla searches in web
> > pages/links.  This would more useful because sometimes you want a file,
> > but you have no idea how it starts, and you only know a word in the
> > middle.
> >
> I like that idea but I think it could be very confusing. Because you
> first have to select an item in the tree before search as you type
> becomes active.
>
> Imagine you have the following tree
>
> Metal Shield
> Shield
>
> .... are just other words
>
> You first select metal shield in order to select the appropriate column
> for searching. Then you want to select Shield. So you start typing
> Shield but nothing seems to happen. Metal Shield remains selected.
>
> Somehow there should be a visual cue that it's actually only the word
> Shield of Metal Shield is found otherwise this behavior will really
> confuse the user

  Definitely.  mozilla's typeahead find is awesome in this respect
(yeah, but it copied from emacs too:) since it highlights the current
selection as you type.

  And then, you can type Ctrl-G to go to the next match.  The gtk
equivalent to Ctrl-G is simply the down arrow, currently, and correctly
IMHO.

  Regards.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic.