Re: socket handling patch for glib-win32

Tor Lillqvist <tml iki fi> writes:

>  > There's also a larger issue I'd like to mention. I talked to Owen a
>  > bit about this on irc, but would like to bring it up here as well.
>  > It seems (to us at least) that GLib would really benefit from a
>  > socket abstraction api.
>
> Sure! But getting it right, and convincing people to use it might take
> time. There are lots of socket abstraction layers built on top of
> GLib, each with their own quirks and ideas. I can think of GNet which
> is a separate library, plus then there is linc2 in ORBit2, stuff in
> libsoup, gnome-vfs, and probably others. It will be hard to harmonize
> these and create an �bstraction, and then convince the
> maintainers of the above to switch...

Well, GOIO aims in that direction (providing socket and other
networking abstractions on top of GObject), see
http://home.gna.org/goio/. I could imagine that this may become the
standard I/O library with GNOME 3, and maybe bundled with GLib,
altough I have not yet talked about that with anyone.

Regards, Rotty
--
Andreas Rottmann         | Rotty ICQ      | 118634484 ICQ | a rottmann gmx at
v2sw7MYChw5pr5OFma7u7Lw2m5g/l7Di6e6t5BSb7en6g3/5HZa2Xs6MSr1/2p7 hackerkey.com

Any technology not indistinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
   -- Terry Pratchett