Re: A springs and struts widget for GTK+

On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 16:15 +0100, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:
>   I find the current container-based system easier on newbies, although
> this spring layout system does sound promising for more complex layout
> needs.  Moreover, with recent canvas discussions, this layout system at
> first glance looks promising for controlling layout of canvas items,
> especially since the same mechanism could then be used to layout both
> canvas items and regular widgets.

In a canvas I'd think you want the "layout manager" idea rather than
"containers" so you could just take any canvas item and add
layout-children capabilities... probably if doing gtk from scratch you'd
do widgets that way too.

There may be more layouts that make sense for canvas items than for
widgets. For example you could imagine wanting to arrange canvas items
along a circle, and a layout manager would be a good approach. This
would never arise with widgets.

Havoc