Re: canvas notes

Quoting Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com>:

On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 20:06 +0200, Soeren Sandmann wrote:
Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> writes:

> So random thoughts.

A few more random thoughts:

- Zooming is more than just setting a transformation matrix because
  the reason you want to zoom is to see more details. So somehow a
  model needs to be aware of how much detail should be drawn.

Text is extra tricky here. Do you want zooming to show you more text, or
do you want it to make the font larger. Even if you choose to just make
the font larger the text object won't scale linearly with the
magnification, because of font hinting etc. I guess you could avoid this
by always rendering text unhinted, positioned using non-device
coordinates, but this will cause pretty unreadable text.

You can not simply favour one over the other. I guess an application like
Nautilus would benefit from the first option (show more text), while Dia (or
Gaphor) would benefit from the second: Having text well readable at a 100% zoom
factor, and having "unreadebly small text" at say 400%.

I found it pretty hard myself, getting the text and font stuff right (with
DiaCanvas), especially text editing. Having good support for font and text
handling is really a must.

Regards,

Arjan