Re: A cross-platform status icon api

On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 23:37 +0200, Jochen Baier stud uni-karlsruhe de
wrote:
> some thoughts about EggStatusIcon:
>
> *the function prototypes should be made future save with transparency background
> in  mind (in the future the tray spec probably change from sending window IDs to
> "sending" icons to make transparency possible).

The GtkStatusIcon API which I committed today is entirely in terms of
pixbufs, no window ids involved.

> gboolean gtk_status_icon_is_supported() or
> gboolean gtk_status_icon_have_(status)applet... what ever

cvs as of today has

gboolean gtk_status_icon_is_embedded (GtkStatusIcon *icon)

which returns TRUE if the status icon is currently embedded in a
notification area.

> *balloon message and tooltip should be the same. the "message" will probably
> mostly show on mouse over. a balloon shaped message will look better.

> *notification stuff should be reduced to "gtk_status_icon_show_balloon"
> or completely removed.

No, tooltip and balloon messages are different use cases. The tooltip
only shows on mouseover, whereas the balloon message pops up
spontaneously.

Matthias