Re: A cross-platform status icon api

Hi:

Nice feature; I can see a lot of accessibility questions related to it though. 1) First, yes, allowing stock icons may be the best way to make these theme-compatible, which of course is vital.
2) Notifications are probably critical to accessibility;
3) If they react to the mouse, they need to react to the keyboard as well (feature-equivalently).
4) The timout may be an issue; certainly it needs to be configurable.
5) There is an implied focus problem; does the bubble steal focus when it demands attention? Almost certainly it shouldn't, but otherwise how does the screenreader or magnifier user notice it? We may need some kind of API for this - but the WM hints for urgency and attention don't seem to fit this case.

Calum, ideas?

Bill