Re: A cross-platform status icon api

On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 11:37 +0800, James Henstridge wrote:

> I believe part of the reason for having the notification area pop up the
> balloons was to give a consistent visual appearance for the balloons.

Isn't that generally addressed by having the widget in GTK+?

Note that for the suggested cases that involve interaction, which is
nearly all:

http://www.gnome.org/~clarkbw/blog/GNOME/nostrum

the interaction with the app is going to be using some toolkit like GTK+
to pop up dialogs/menus such anyways, and that behavior is still
toolkit-dependent.  I don't think creating protocols just for consistent
appearance is worth the engineering time.  We could also remote
GtkMessageDialog of course...but it gets way harder after that.

> If that isn't considered important, perhaps a simpler protocol would
> make sense.  Perhaps something like this:
>
>    1. icon tells tray that it wants to pop up a balloon
>    2. icon receives permission from tray, and pops up balloon
>    3. icon decides when to pop down balloon (timeout, user interaction,
>       etc), and tells tray when it does so.
>
> The above has its own problems though, since a hung notification icon
> could prevent future notifications from appearing.

Why is this protocol necessary?  What would determine permission?